Monday, June 20, 2011

Postponed and Divorced.

I entered court last Tuesday with a certain expectation that our case would be heard. I exited court last Tuesday with an unexpected delay and an unexpected surprise.

The Delay: Our court dates needed to be rescheduled. So, Tuesday's and Friday's court dates were cancelled. Unfortunately, the next available dates, when all parties involved would be able to be in attendance, aren't for another month. Bummer! (That word doesn't do justice to how I feel about another delay, but my vocabulary is at a loss.) The new dates are 15 & 18 July 2011 and 4 Aug 2011.

The surprise: Our wonderful judge ordered the divorce to go through! It will be finalized within a few days. Everything else relating to the divorce is in abeyance until the case is heard. I would venture to shout, "I'm free, at last!" But without my children, I do not feel free and I, certainly, don't feel much like celebrating.

This week has found me to be in such a lugubrious mood until I met someone today who had a very refreshing view on life. I couldn't help but absorb some of his energy and viewpoint. Everything this stranger said and did had a positive spin to it--not in an annoying, that-person-is-way-too-happy kind of way, but, rather, in a very real and tangible way.

There was no pretense or facade he was trying to wear. It wasn't a mask. It was just the way he saw things. And just from one brief conversation, I could tell he lived every day and every moment of his life viewing the world through these tinted glasses.

After this brief encounter, I found myself wanting to view life and my current situation a little differently. Although I would love to say I will forever and from this day forth become a person who exudes positivity with every breath, (I love the thought of that), I am too much of a realist to believe that I could change that quickly or that intensely in such a short amount of time. And I fear, if I tried, I would come across as pretending. So, instead, I'm opting to find a happy medium between the sad realities of life and the happily-ever-afters I want.

No comments: