Thursday, September 16, 2010

Morning Wake-up Call

I am haunted by the day I left the house. Not because of what happened, but because of what didn't.

I didn't get to say goodbye to my children. I don't know when I will get to hold them, kiss them, or sing silly songs with them again. I don't know when I will get to see their sweet little faces pressed against mine, laughing while they tell me that I'm a silly kid. I didn't get to explain to them that mommy was going to be gone for a while, but that I would be back. I didn't know it would be over just like that.

I wake every morning thinking about that day.

My mornings with the girls were my favorite time of day. Audrey was always the first one awake. She would come into my room and crawl up onto my bed and snuggle with me. Sometimes she would fall back asleep, but more often than not she would lie awake singing softly to herself until I lazily woke up and smiled at her. She would get a huge grin on her face and whisper "hurray! Good morning sleepy head!"

Then we would stay in bed singing song, reading stories, and laughing about nothing. This always lasted until Bethany finally woke up and would sneak in. She was much grumpier in the mornings and would just want to snuggle until she was fully awake. Then she would join in on the singing and jumping on the bed. Our mornings were usually late and happy!

I miss those mornings.

No comments: